- Botanical Name: Bouteloua curtipendula
- Plant Type: Ornamental Grass
- Light Requirement: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Water Demand: Low
- Landscape Use: Deer Resistant, Focal Point/Specimen Plant
- Ornamental Value: Red, Orange, Yellow, Tan
- Native/Adapted: Native
- Wildlife Value: Birds, Butterflies
- Season: Summer, Fall, Winter
- Deciduous/Evergreen: Deciduous
- Plant Form: Upright, Bushy
- Plant Spread: 2'
- Plant Height: 2' - 6'
Our state grass is a strong perennial and works well as a garden accent. Competes well with short grasses but not larger grasses. Usually does not require water once established. Great choice for wildflower meadow garden. Spikelets green to blonde, sometimes with outstanding red anthers, arranged zigzag along stem. Warm-season perennial bunchgrass. Goes dormant in winter.