North Central Texas Smartscape
Texas SmartScape™ utilizes xeriscape principles, but goes beyond the basics by providing design, care, and plant search tools that are "Smart" for North Central Texas. Learn more...
This Program Will Show You How To
Conserve water and save $Money$ on your water bills; beautify your home and local environment; attract native butterflies, hummingbirds and other wildlife; and prevent / help reduce storm water pollution!
2015 Texas SmartScape Plant Sale! - Last Weekend October 17th!
Texas SmartScape has teamed up with The Home Depot, Ron’s Organics, Shades of Green, Weston Gardens, and our member cities in the DFW Area to bring you savings on native and adapted Texas plants!
There will be 30 events across the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex from April through October. Find out about event locations and times, plants on sale, and more.
7 Steps to a Smart Yard
No matter what point you are starting from, you can add ease, comfort, and enjoyment to your yard or garden by using native and adapted plants.
- Plan and Design - Start with the end in mind
- Reduce Turf – Less means More
- Soil – Organic matter is key
- Planting – Right Plant, Right Place
- Mulch – About 3 inches around beds and trees
- Water-Wise - Efficient irrigation will save you money
- Maintenance - Avoid excessive pruning
Check out our 7 Steps to a Smart Yard flyer to learn more about creating a beautiful landscape that requires less water and maintenance than a "traditional" yard. Or visit our Design Tools section. If you would like to learn in person, check out our events page to find a class near you.
Texas SmartScape Digital Magazine
Staff and SmartScape participant communities have been hard at work creating the second edition of the Texas SmartScape digital magazine. This 28 page magazine highlights a few of our favorite plants in a fun and interesting way. This isn’t your usual, boring, botanical name and basic information. This magazine is packed full of beautiful images, helpful tips, and style guides for your landscape. It is our hope that you are inspired to add class and beauty to your landscape with native Texas plants in your own garden.
Please feel free to download, link to, share, post, read out loud to anyone passing by! We just want to get the word out about the water conservation and stormwater quality benefits of using native plants that require less water and maintenance while still providing a beautiful landscape year round.
Check it out! http://digital.turn-page.com/i/489934
Use this search tool to identify which plants will work for you.
- SmartScape related events and classes: View all events.
- WANTED- SmartScape plant photos. Our plant database can now support multiple images of each plant. Submit plant photos to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- List of SmartScape-friendly companies.
- Nurseries/landscape companies: Partnership opportunities. [pdf]
- We want to know if you've attempted to use SmartScape ideas and techniques in your yard! Share your SmartScape.
- Interested in helping us expand Texas SmartScape to other regions in Texas? Contact us at email@example.com for more information.